Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. is the first international fraternal organization to be founded on the campus of a historically black college. Omega Psi Phi was founded on November 17, 1911, at Howard University in Washington, D.C. The founders were three Howard University undergraduates, — Edgar Amos Love, Oscar James Cooper and Frank Coleman. Joining them was their faculty adviser, Dr. Ernest Everett Just. From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning, “friendship is essential to the soul,” the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. That phrase was selected as the motto. Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance, and Uplift were adopted as Cardinal Principles.
On November 23, 1911, in the Science Hall (now named Thirkield Hall), Love became the first Grand Basileus (National President). Cooper and Coleman were selected to be the Grand Keeper of the Records (National Secretary) and Grand Keeper of Seals (National Treasurer), respectively. Eleven Howard University undergraduate men were selected to be the charter members. Alpha Chapter was organized with fourteen charter members on December 15, 1911. Love, Cooper, and Coleman were elected the chapter’s first Basileus, Keeper of Records, and Keeper of Seals, respectively.
Cooper became the fraternity’s second Grand Basileus in 1912 and authorized the investigation of a proposed second chapter at Lincoln University, Penn. Love was elected as the third Grand Basileus in 1912 and served until 1915.
In 1912, Howard University officials did not initially recognize the fraternity as a national organization and Omega Psi Phi’s leadership refused to only accept local recognition. As a result, the fraternity operated without official sanction, until the university withdrew its opposition in 1914, the same year that the Beta Chapter was chartered at Lincoln University. Omega Psi Phi was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on October 28, 1914. George E. Hall, the fourth Grand Basileus, authorized the establishment of Gamma Chapter in Boston.
Clarence F. Holmes served as Omega’s sixth Grand Basileus. It was under his leadership that the Fraternity’s first official hymn, “Omega Men Draw Nigh,” was written by Otto Bohannon. Stanley Douglas served as editor to the first Oracle published in the spring of 1919. Raymond G. Robinson, the seventh Grand Basileus, established Delta Chapter in Nashville, Tennessee in 1919. Stanley Douglas served as Editor of the first Oracle published in the spring of 1919. Robinson left office in 1920 with a total of ten chapters in operation.
ACHIEVEMENT WEEK ESTABLISHED
Harold K. Thomas, the eighth Grand Basileus, was elected at the Nashville Grand Conclave in 1920. It was at this Conclave that Carter G. Woodson inspired the establishment of National Achievement Week to promote the study of Negro life and history. The Atlanta Grand Conclave in 1921 brought to an end the Fraternity’s first decade. Omega built a strong and effective force of men dedicated to its cardinal principles of manhood, scholarship, perseverance, and uplift.
In 1922, Grand Basileus J. Alston Atkins appointed the first District Representatives. Today, there are eleven such officers who are elected annually at district meetings. Also in 1922, the office of Vice Grand Basileus was created. The Grand Keeper of Records became the Grand Keeper of the Records and Seal.
The first Omega Bulletin was published in 1928 and Campbell C. Johnson was the editor. “Omega Dear,” was adopted as the official hymn in 1931. Charles R. Drew, professor of surgery, and Mercer Cook, professor of languages, both members of the Howard faculty, were the composers. Cook wrote the music and first stanza; Drew wrote the last two stanzas.
Each of the founders graduated and went on to have distinguished careers in their chosen fields: Edgar Love became a Methodist bishop; Oscar Cooper practiced medicine in Philadelphia for over 50 years; Frank Coleman became the chairman of the Department of Physics at Howard University and Dr. Ernest E. Just became a world-renowned biologist and a recipient of the prestige NAACP Spingarn Medal.
The Omega “Sweetheart Song,” with words and music by Don Q. Pullen, was adopted as the official sweetheart song by the 1940 Nashville Grand Conclave. Founder Ernest E. Just entered Omega Chapter in 1941. In 1941, Charles Drew perfected the use of blood plasma as a life-saving tool. William Hastie resigned as Civilian Aide to the Secretary of War in protest against discrimination in the armed forces. He was later appointed Governor of the Virgin Islands by President Harry S. Truman.
Since 1945, the fraternity has undertaken a National Social Action program to meet the needs of African Americans in the areas of health, housing, civil rights, and education. In 1949, the first National Headquarters Building at 107 Rhode Island Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. was purchased. H. Carl Moultrie I, was selected to serve as the first National Executive Secretary. That same year, the scholarship fund was renamed in honor of Charles R. Drew.
During this era, social action became Omega’s primary programmatic thrust. Thousands of Omega men became actively involved in the fight to eliminate racial discrimination. The Los Angeles Grand Conclave in 1955 initiated a program whereby each graduate chapter would purchase a Life Membership from the NAACP. Between 1955 and 1959, chapters contributed nearly $40,000 to the NAACP.
The struggle for social justice shifted into high gear. Brothers were active participants in the “sit-ins” and other civil rights demonstrations. Moreover, undergraduate brothers especially were involved in the demonstrative aspect of the civil rights struggle. In 1961, the Washington, D.C. Grand Conclave highlighted Omega’s first 50 years of accomplishments. Founders — Love, Cooper, and Coleman were present. Thirteen of 23 former Grand Basilei also attended this historic gathering. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for young brothers to mingle with some of the greatest black men that America had produced.
The Golden Anniversary Conclave authorized a $150,000 investment towards the construction of a new national headquarters building in Washington, D.C. In 1964, the new national headquarters was dedicated. It was a dream come true and was the first building of its type to be built by a black fraternity. Founders — Love, Cooper and Coleman participated in the ceremonies. The name was later changed to the International Headquarters and was located at 2714 Georgia Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. Founder Frank Coleman entered Omega Chapter in 1967. The Charlotte Grand Conclave in 1968 mandated a constitutional convention for the revision of the Fraternity’s constitution and by-laws as well as the Ritual. That convention was held in Atlanta in 1969.
The newly revised Constitution and By-Laws and the Ritual went into effective at the close of the 1970 Pittsburgh Grand Conclave. H. Carl Moultrie I, Omega’s only National Executive Secretary, was appointed a judge to the Superior Court of Washington, D.C., in 1972. Moultrie’s resignation was accepted with regrets. Omega conferred upon Moultrie the title of National Executive Secretary Emeritus which was later changed to Executive Secretary Emeritus. The Seventies brought more unpleasant news. Founder Oscar J. Cooper entered Omega Chapter in 1972. Two years later in 1974, Edgar A. Love, the last surviving founder, entered Omega Chapter.
On November 16, 1975, an impressive granite monument was dedicated to the memory of the four founders. The monument is located near Thirkield Hall, the site of Omega’s birthplace on the Howard University campus. A revived Life Membership program resulted in a very large number of new Life Members. The Atlanta Grand Conclave in 1976 became the largest attended up to that point. Many new undergraduate chapters were chartered, because of the increased enrollment of black students at previously all-white colleges and universities. “Operation Big Vote,” was successful in getting thousands of African-Americans to vote in the 1976 election. The Denver Grand Conclave in 1979 made a commitment to contribute $250,000 to the United Negro College Fund over the next five years.
In 1981, the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity endowed its first endowed Omega faculty chair at Rust College, Holly Springs, Miss. President W.A. McMillan stated that the chair would be used to promote the humanities. The 75th Anniversary Grand Conclave celebration was held July 25-Aug. 1, 1986 in Washington, D.C., the city of Omega’s birth. It surpassed the previous attendance record. Grand Basileus Moses C. Norman, Sr., elected at the 1984 Louisville Grand Conclave, appointed a committee to review the structure and operations of the fraternity as a means of future focus. In 1984, John S. Epps was selected as only the fifth Omega man to serve as Executive Secretary. H. Carl Moultrie I, Executive Secretary Emeritus and Ronald E. McNair, noted Astronaut, entered Omega Chapter. Don Q. Pullen and W. Mercer Cook also entered Omega Chapter.
Tyrone Gilmore Sr. became the 34th Grand Basileus in June 1990. Under his leadership, a site for a new World Center and International Headquarters in Decatur Ga. was identified. Also, the complete structure was revamped and the international chapters were transformed into the 13th District. Dorsey C. Miller Jr., was chosen as the 35th Grand Basileus at the Cleveland Grand Conclave in 1994. Miller’s administration closed the sale of the property at 3951 Snapfinger Parkway, which the new international headquarters. The property at 2714 Georgia Ave. N.W. was sold. The Georgia Avenue location had served as the Fraternity’s headquarter for 31 years.
Lloyd J. Jordan, Esq., who had previously served as Grand Counselor, was elected the 36th Grand Basileus at the 70th Grand Conclave in 1998 in New Orleans. S. Earl Wilson executive director in June 2000. George Grace was elected Grand Basileus in 2002 at the 72nd Grand Conclave in Charlotte, N.C. Grace’s administration helped the Fraternity realize financial solvency.
Warren G. Lee Jr., who had once served as the Second Grand Vice Basileus, was elected Grand Basileus in during Little Rock Grand Conclave in 2008. During Lee’s tenure, Omega fortified its mission and brought aid and comfort to those in need. Omega men across the United States mentored to the youth, organized various social action programs and donated millions to worthy causes.
Today, Omega Psi Phi now has over 700 chapters throughout the United States, Bermuda, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Korea, Japan, Liberia, Germany, and Kuwait. There are many notable Omega Men recognized as leaders in the arts, the sciences, academics, athletics, business, civil rights, education, government, and science sectors at the local, national and international level.
Omega continues to flourish, largely because founders — Love, Cooper, Coleman, and Just — were men of the very highest ideals and intellect. The Founders selected and attracted men of similar ideals and characteristics. It is not by accident that many of America’s great black men are or were Omega Men. There are very few Americans whose lives have not been touched by a member of the Omega Psi.